Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome northshore literary enthusiasts

Hello my friends,
The Northshore Literary Society organizers, Pamela (Pam) Ewen Lott and yours truly, Deborah (Deb) Burst, decided to use blogging as a means of sharing northshore literary news and a forum to voice opinions, suggestions and literary work.

What better way to stay in touch with our esteemed literary group than a streaming blog. Consider it a cozy place to share your literary thoughts, poems, or just shoot the breeze. And there's nothing wrong with pursuing those writing skills.

Many literary scholars insist that you write something everyday, some say a page, others claim a paragraph or two. Some do journals, others write letters, and some slave away on the computer sending emails. Although texting has its purpose, I personally feel emails should be taken more seriously. It's an art of communication. Albeit, a modern form of art, but one that should be used for many styles of writing: business, friendly banter and creative prose.

At the turn of the millennium, when I first began my sojourn into the internet world, my Tulane English professor suggested we use emails to fine tune our craft. The email would follow all the same rules as writing an article, essay or book. And I have passed with flying colors.

In my profession as a freelance writer, emails are my lifeline to landing an assignment and earning a living. So if you are looking for a way to practice your writing skills, may I suggest emails. The quick reread or once over will not only become second nature, but a major investment in your professional reputation. The consequences of sending an inflammatory message is irreversible.

Btw, I landed an interview with Anne Rice through a casual but well crafted email to an address gained from her website. There's a big world out there just waiting for you.

Chime in, would love to hear your thoughts on the literary etiquette of emails.

Stay tuned...coming soon the announcement of the next Northshore Literary Society meeting.
Signing off,
Deb

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting because I recently sent out a bulk email to all of my address book members.
    It was titled, "The Evolution of Email"

    In it, I complained about how much email has changed since it first began.

    Many of us have forgotten our manners.. There's too much impersonal thoughtlessness and downright rudeness.

    And I agree with your reference to text messages.
    EMAILS ARE NOT TEXT MESSAGES!

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand people are busy, and I'm not saying that every email must be a dissertation, but there's a polite way of replying with a short message. Good move in "bulking" up emails, I'm sure you received some thought provoking prose.

    ReplyDelete