Friday, February 27, 2009

The highs and lows of writing

Now that we're all finished with Mardi Gras, some of us enter a post-holiday low trying to regain a productive schedule and hopefully a good dose of inspiration.

This blog is dedicate to those who struggle with guilt in not writing as much as they like.

Erica Spindler recently posted a blog on her myspace page: "Sequestered myself at our lakehouse, just me, my golden retriever and BLOOD VINES, my Book in Progress. I’m thrilled to say, I wrote 12 pages yesterday and 8 so far today! Due date is April 1 – wish me luck!"

Congratulations Erica!

Although I responded with a disappointing one page of writing for the day, I did complete a satisfing project for one of my photography clients (most freelancers are "jacks of all trades" relying on other crafts to get them through the rough times). But Erica's determination was contagious, thus one of the beauty and benefits of blogging. The next night I finished three more pages and now 2/3 of the way through my rough draft.

Thanks Erica!

Everyone works better with outside deadlines compared to self-imposed, that's a sentiment echoed by all kinds of writers in blogs and personal communications. Many editors have left their secure office job for the freelance circuit, because they missed the writing.

It's what drives us emotionally. But like any euphoric sensation, the lows and highs can be equally chaotic. After completing a well written article, book, or even just an opening paragraph, you celebrate with unbridled enthusiasm. Often times going back to it, like a delicious piece of chocolate, rereading, savoring every word.

Sometimes, when I'm at a low point...feeling guilty for not writing, the money is slow coming in or the pitches are ignored--I go back, back to these sweet morsels. It's not only a morale booster but at times helps unlock writer's block.

But we artists are a fickle bunch, and many, including myself, will say, "did I really write that, it's so good, will I ever write like that again?"

And the answer is a resounding yes!

Sound in on how you fight those writer blues.

The next blog, do reading books really improve your writing skills.

2 comments:

  1. I find it helpful to pick a certain time during the day to dedicate to any writing project I may be working on. This tends to be early in the morning for me. If I can come up with only one line of a song each day, I'm at least satisfied with progress---hoewever slow it may be.
    However there are moments when inspiration hits me ( depending on my mood) and I'll suddenly come up with something during another time of the day.
    Last evening was one of those instances when I happened to be in my studio at the right time..
    I picked up the guitar, found my document on the laptop and came up with half a verse. And I know that this one will lead to the next.. like each step of a staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! And you have the added stress of coming up with the music as well as the lyrics. Hard to fathom. But then all our prose has its own beat. A good writer will edit out loud and listen very carefully, the beat holds the answers.

    ReplyDelete